2/21/2010

Review of Syndrome X: The Complete Nutritional Program to Prevent and Reverse Insulin Resistance (Paperback)

I have been on this diet for three weeks and have lost 6lbs. Recently diagnosed with PCOS, I have been researching insulin-resistance with a fervor. "Syndrome X" does an excellent job of explaining insulin-resistance and its causes. However the eating plan outlined in the book is too hard to follow. The advice to avoid high-glycemic foods is sound, but after three weeks I was finding this increasingly difficult. This is not a lifestyle that I could live with forever.
I just read the book, "The Insulin-Resistance Diet: How to Turn Off Your Body's Fat-Making Machine". This book is more current than "Syndrome X" and provides an eating plan more congruent with the typical American lifestyle. The book explains how to balance carbohydrates (even high-glycemic carbs such as sugar and pasta) with protein to avoid insulin spikes, promote weight loss, and avoid disease. I started the new eating plan yesterday and my energy has greatly increased. On our evening walk last night, my husband commented that I had much more energy than I used to. I think that energy was a result of allowing myself the small serving of carbohydrates with dinner (1/2 cup of pasta and 1oz of chocolate) that I had been denying myself on the "Syndrome X" plan.
The "Syndrome X" eating plan is difficult to follow but effective.I do not know how effective the plan outlined in "The Insulin-Resistance Diet" is but I will write a review of it in a few weeks and cite my progress.
UPDATE: "The Insulin-Resistance Diet" did not work for me.As difficult as the "Syndrom X" diet is to stick to, it is really the only diet that shown me good results.Therefore I have upgraded my rating from 3 stars to 4 stars.I suppose that diets are supposed to be hard, otherwise everyone would be thin...



Click Here to see more reviews about: Syndrome X: The Complete Nutritional Program to Prevent and Reverse Insulin Resistance (Paperback)

No comments:

Post a Comment