1/31/2010

Review of Nutrition for Women, Second Edition: How Eating Right Can Help You Look and Feel Your Best (Paperback)

I'd been a pizza-and-macaroni-vegetarian from age 16 to 21, then I went back to meat because I was so bored, I suppose.I discovered cooking a couple years later, and was experimenting with thai, meditteranean, and french food by 25.I baked bread, I bought brie, I tried new things.Then I had my nutrition revelation, and I've been learning ever since.

About 5 years ago, I was interested in homeopathic medicine--"it's like astrology for your body!" I said to anyone who would listen to me ramble.But then I started to think more practically--I'm not going to spend hundreds of dollars on homeopathic remedies for my every ailment and neurosis.I'm already eating food.What should I really be eating to give me every chance to be healthy?

This is the book I picked up.Following its recommendations, I tested my vitals--cholesterol, blood pressure, etc.I was just fine, really great, in fact--my total cholesterol was 171 and my HDL was much higher than my LDL.But I soldiered on, figuring that was because I was young (I was 28).

One thing I remember specifically is that I took Somer's advice and wrote down those of her recommendations I was planning to fulfill.I took a look at that list a little while ago, and I did most things (except eating two to three cups of dairy a day, about which, at the time I said, "I'll try, but I doubt it!").For example, I'm eating at least 6 servings of fruits and vegetables a day--at the time, I seriously thought it would be impossible.I vowed to eat half of my grains as whole grains--now I rarely eat refined white flour or rice at all, and certainly never cook them at home.There were several others, and I've incorporated them into my daily life since then, and I have to say, I'm proud.

I had my numbers checked for the first time since then just this week.My cholesterol has gone down *40 points* from 171 to 131 in five years.My HDL to LDL is 1.7 (drs figure it differently--my LDL to HDL is .5, and my Total C to HDL is 1.7).My cholesterol counselor called me a show-off and told me at least four times to keep eating exactly the way I was eating.

Dr. Somer, thank you so much.I had no idea how to be healthy--now I have no idea how to enjoy junk.I've been overhauled.

(I'm resolved now to get some more dairy in my diet!)



Click Here to see more reviews about: Nutrition for Women, Second Edition: How Eating Right Can Help You Look and Feel Your Best (Paperback)

No comments:

Post a Comment